Thursday 24 January 2013

For the love of dogs

I have been struggling to figure out exactly what I'd like to write about our time in Iran. As suspected, the 30 days we spent there turned out to challenging and emotional, but also sometimes uplifting. When I say challenging, I don't mean logistically. In fact, thanks to its reliable and involved bus system, the prevalence of spoken English, and the hospitality of the people, it turned out to be one of the easiest places to get around. The hardship people have endured, the abuses of power, and the human rights violations will stay with me forever. Thankfully, so will peoples' resiliency, friendship and kindness.

I was sifting through my pictures of Iran, hoping to pick a few and blog about them. I still plan on posting more about Iran but this one particular photo caught my eye. As many of you know, I love all things canine. I love their personalities, their faces, their loyalty and the joy they have brought to my life over the years. While I don't dislike pure bred dogs, I do have a special place in my heart for rescue dogs and frankly, the more un-wanted the better. I love the three-legged, one-eyed buddies with histories of abuse, who at first seem "unadoptable" but then with the right owner turn into amazing companions. Can you tell I read a lot of blogs about rescue dogs?

I've known for a long time that Islam doesn't approve of dogs, as pets or as any part of society. I also knew that Iran has over the years taken actions to keep their country dog free, including mass zoo-ing of dogs or outright euthanization. I also knew that the Iranian government has a particular hate on for "small-legged" dogs because they are seen as weaker and genetically impure. Here is an article from Time magazine about the government's attempts at banning pet dogs all together.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2065873,00.html

During our time in Iran, we became friends with a hotel owner, dog lover and atheist (surprise!) who was once the founder of a dog shelter. I was so excited to possibly visit his shelter but quickly discovered it had recently been shut down and destroyed by either the government or another party who believed the land was theirs. The details of why his shelter was shut down were lost in translation but the sentiment was not. He proudly showed me dozens of photos of his shelter dogs (each with names and a story) and was devastated to know he could no longer help them.

So back to the one picture that caught my eye and inspired me to write this post. While visiting the shrine of Imam Reza, the absolute most holiest place in Iran, and one of the holiest of Shia Muslims, I spotted this.....


Imagine my excitement! Lord only knows what has happened to this dog but in the holiest place of a religion that has perpetrated so much hate (towards canines and otherwise) he left his mark!. I have high hopes for the people of Iran. I think a new revolution is on the way and I hope they bring some dogs with them.

Here are a few picture of some dog friends I've made in India.



No comments:

Post a Comment