Thursday 24 January 2013

Mosque O.D.

Iran is a very photogenic place - chadors blowing in the wind, creepy dystopian-looking pictures of Khomeini, and Persian rugs being rolled out for prayer all make for stunning images. But nothing is quite as beautiful as the mosques, which can be found on pretty much any street corner in any city. I didn't do a very good job capturing their beauty. I found myself in a picture-taking funk while in Iran, likely because the opulence and power the mosques represent pissed me off or because I was in a constant state of distraction/irritation from having to cover my head, arms and legs. Either way, I didn't get too many great shots but here are mediocre few.

I developed a soft spot for mosques under construction. There are just so many good metaphors to be had. 

The shrine of Immam Reza in Mashhad (well, the entrance.) This is the holiest place in Iran. There is a pure gold dome in an absolutely jaw-dropping complex. Unfortunately there are no cameras allowed inside (except Zach's iPhone, wink wink). We were there at prayer time on a Friday, which was a pretty amazing experience. Seeing hundreds (possibly thousands) of people kneel down in rhythmic prayer at the same time is enough to make anyone stop and think. When entering I was not only frisked but also kissed by several woman who I'm pretty sure were welcoming me and offering me blessings. This was my first of many instances wearing a chador. 

Chador-clad women checking their shoes (bottom right). 




A water fountain dressed up as a mosque.

By day. 

By night.


More construction.

Qom, the most disturbing/fascinating place in Iran. Chadors and Mullahs everywhere.  This is the only place where Zack was asked to tell me to be more decent (ie. put on a chador or cover my head more thoroughly) 

Tiny mosque with Zack in the doorway.



1 comment:

  1. woweeys. love these lady. i know the feeling when inspiration hits, write it all down frantically..then pause for a while. hope you guys are safe and sound and warm and happy.

    ReplyDelete